I hope you don't mind that I occasionally take a break from writing about painting. I love to paint, but I also love to garden, vegetable and flower, although not so good at the vegetable part. I also like girl's weekends and drinking wine. ( I might start writing about that soon, as well.) Walking around my yard, with these fabulous days we've been having in the Carolina's, I decided to photo the various white flowers in bloom. The gardenia's are my favorite. Their scent is intoxicating! Sitting near a gardenia in bloom, with a glass of Chardonnay as the sun sets, takes you to another world where teens and work stress doesn't exist. :) If you have teens home for the summer you know exactly what I'm talking about! So my husband and I seek out the sanctuary of our back yard that we've spent many hours developing. So today, I'm sharing some of my back yard. I hope you enjoy!
In my last posting, I gave you a sneak preview for this post. This is my favorite clockface table so far. I actually had someone from New Zealand contact me about shipping it to New Zealand! Very exciting for me to have someone on the other side of the world want my little ole table!
So anyone with a round table can paint it with a clockface. This is what my table looked like before.
The top was pretty worn so it was a perfect candidate for painting. As always, I sanded it just to scuff the surface. Next, I rolled on a good quality latex primer, a slightly creamy tint since I was using antique white for my base coat.
I let that dry overnight and then applied 2 coats of a antique white satin latex. Once that dried, I located the center of the table and stuck in a push pin. I cut a string long enough to reach the inner diameter of the red border. With a pencil secured to the string, I lightly sketched a circle. This was the line that I hand painted the red border to. Hand painting is never perfect, but in the end it's fabulous! I blended two shades of red and applied 2 coats to create my red border. You can also see the picture of the actual clock face that was my inspiration for this table.
After several days of dry time, I printed out my lettering on the computer. I used tracing paper to transfer the letters to the table. I used my hand cut stencil for the roman numerals.
These were also hand painted once the letters were transferred. To add a little something extra and to clean up the painted edge where the cream and red met, I used a gold paint pen and my string to create a thin gold circle. Once everything was dry, I used a hard rubber sanding block with sandpaper to create some random distressing.
I loved this effect on a previous table, but after the fact felt like this table was busy enough that it didn't really need the distressing. Oh well, too late to change it back...still learning after all these years!
I used a raw umber glaze to age all the colors and give it some depth.
The top was finished with an acrylic varnish. I blended equal parts of flat and satin so that it wasn't too flat and not too shiny.
The iron base was previously black but needed some touch up. I sand and scraped and loose paint and spot primed. I spray painted the entire base red and let that dry. Next, with a mineral spirits ladened sponge, I began to spray the base black, wiping edges with the sponge to reveal flashes of red. This was the final effect.